Use this interview checklist from Deb Olender.
What to look for in an agent
Checklist for Interviewing a Buyer’s Agent
Choosing a Buyer’s Agent doesn’t have to be a blind choice – be prepared by interviewing a few realtors and making sure their skills match up with your needs.
Some general things you might want to look for in an agent include
- They listen to you attentively, and respond to your questions clearly
- They spend time getting to know you and understanding your needs
- They are aware of and experienced with listings in your price range
- They are familiar with your chosen neighbourhood
- They view the ‘end goal’ as your needs being met, not just a successful transaction
- They are dedicated to their profession and have strong references from past buyers
Here are some questions you should ask a potential agent during an interview
- How long have you been working as a realtor?
- What do you think are your strengths in real estate?
- Do you work as a full-time realtor? Do you have assistants that will be involved?
- How many properties did you work with in the past year, and what was the average price?
- Are you familiar with this neighbourhood? How many properties have you dealt with in this area?
- Do you have complete access to the Multiple Listing Service? Will you be able to email relevant listings to me?
- Could you please provide contact information for three past buyers, so that I may ask them about their experience with you as their agent?